If you search Coron island in Palawan, Philippines, the first photos you will most likely see on the Internet are these overlooking views of beautiful limestone islets surrounding a crystal-clear lake. This majestic and jaw-droppingly beautiful place is called Kayangan Lake. Kayangan Lake is often dubbed as the cleanest lake in the Philippines. It is 70% fresh water and 30% sea water. According to travel reviews, this lake is one of the most popular and most visited spots in Coron Island, Palawan, Philippines. In many travel reviews, Coron is also considered one of the best islands to visit in the country.
The lake is home to rich marine life and a variety of exotic fishes including the blue-fin tuna, the rainbow-colored barracuda, the long-finned pilot fish, the small blue tunny, the common scuba fish, and more. It has been a popular place for diving for many generations in this part of Southeast Asia and is a popular attraction for scuba divers.
Activities you can do in Kayangan Lake
Kayangan is also known for its snorkeling. It is famous for its excellent coral reefs and diving opportunities. The local dive shops and restaurants provide different kinds of dive equipment which can help the divers to explore the underwater beauty.
You can go on a tour of this lake and do several activities. You can simply swim around the area, snorkel, dive, or hike the overlooking mountain for the best panoramic view of the entire lake. The lake view is amazing from above.
If you choose to dive, make sure that you have a guide to check on you since there sharp rocks under the water that could easily cut your skin if you’re not careful.
Important notes before embarking on this tour
- Many tour operators offer Coron Island Tours but make sure to only book reliable ones. Read some reviews to avoid getting scammed. Read some reviews to also get a general idea of what to expect before getting there.
- You are free to swim around the lake area but be respectful of marine life.
- Book the earliest tour of the day to get the best view of the area and the sea. 6 to 7 AM is a good time.
- Some day tours offer different places to visit so check on your operator first if you are free to visit other spots like Coron Bay shipwrecks, Twin lagoon, and other nearby beaches.
- Be careful when hiking the steps towards the lake since it can get slippery. The steps are also quite steep.
A guide on how to get to Kayangan Lake in Palawan, Philippines
Kayangan Lake is located in Coron Island in Palawan, Philippines. The best way to get there is to travel by air. There are direct flights available from Manila or Cebu to Coron Island. Once you are in Busuanga Airport in Coron, ride a van going to the town proper. The town proper is a good place and is a highly recommended spot to look for accommodations. There, you can look for tours going to the lake and nearby beach and islands tours. You can either charter a private boat going to Kayangan Lake or you can also join a Coron Island group tour where the lake is included. The Coron Island Tour usually includes other places like Coron Bay Shipwrecks, Twin Lagoon, Malcapuya Beach, and a lot more.